I’m reading the book “Weird” by Craig Groeschel – the subtitle is: Because normal isn’t working.
Take this mini quiz to find out if you’re “normal” or “weird”.
• Do you have too much to do and too little time?
• Do you have more debt than you can comfortably handle?
• Even after you get a raise at work, is it still not enough?
• Is your ‘stuff’ breaking down, wearing out, forcing you to buy newer/bigger/better?
• Do you ever feel stressed, overwhelmed, exhausted?
• Does your spouse feel more like a roommate or acquaintance than an intimate life partner?
• Have you been tempted to stray because your spouse doesn’t appreciate you?
• Do your kids treat you like a banker/chauffeur/cook/cleaner?
• Are your kids overscheduled with school, sports, music, or other activities?
• Family time – is it a myth or a distant memory?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions – or all of them – then relax. You are normal.
Next question: Are you happy with your life the way it is right now?
If not, and if you are you a follower of Jesus, aka a Christian, then read Craig Groeschel’s book “Weird”. Discover the upside of bucking the trends. Walking the narrow path instead of the broad road. The benefits of being different in the best ways.
But – If you have no interest in God, or what the Bible talks about, what Jesus taught and lived. If you think you’re “just fine, thank you” without God. If you believe in some “higher power” but are pursuing alternative methods of accessing It. Then I can’t think of anything to say that will help you.
Been there. Done that. Lived ‘normal’ to the fullest. Chose Marianne Williamson’s book “A Return to Love” as my Bible for awhile. Thought ‘the answer’ was found in a love relationship with my ‘soul mate’ but was proven wrong. Tried all the things our culture promotes and glamorizes and pursues. And discovered that none of them satisfied me for long.
It took all the running I could do just to stay in one place. Where? Exhausted. Miserable. Frustrated. Lost. Desperate. That’s when I finally found the answer to that nagging question: what is the meaning of life?
Jesus. He is the way, the truth, the life. Has been, for me, for over 11 years now. Is my life perfect? No. Am I deliriously happy? No. I no longer dream the impossible dream.
Better than that. I am content. Take joy in the present while being confident and hopeful for a better future. Trusting God. Letting Him work on me – because I am His masterpiece and a work in progress.
The Christian life is simple – but it’s not easy. And I highly recommend it.
Give it a try. Check out the book “Weird”. Or do some research online. Craig Groeschel is the founding and senior pastor of LifeChurch.tv, a pace-setting multi-campus church, creators of the free YouVersion Bible App. Listen to some other young preachers like Andy Stanley, Steven Furtick, Robert Morris, Bruxy Cavey. Or try Rick Warren and his helpful book The Purpose Driven Life.
Life is shorter than you think it is. Don’t waste another minute of it. Enjoy it, and make it count.